An e-cigarette charger that had been shipped to the Healdsburg Post Office from overseas caught fire in its box Friday morning, prompting an evacuation of the post office.
Emergency dispatchers received a call around 10:37 a.m. about a fire at the post office. The Healdsburg Police Department responded, as well as Cal Fire and Healdsburg, Windsor and Geyserville fire departments.
They found smoke coming from a cabinet holding international mail packages, said Healdsburg Fire Marshal Linda Collister.
Firefighters set up a decontamination station in case the package contained hazardous materials, she said. They found three packages burned, one more seriously than the others.
That one contained the e-cigarette charger, from Singapore.
“It was an interesting call,” Collister said.
The Postal Service will be investigating the incident, Collister said.
E-cigarette charger catches fire, evacuating Healdsburg Post Office