Thứ Ba, 4 tháng 6, 2013

Parking causes concern on campus

Schengen hurdle takes Europe off tourist’s itinerary


In reference to US visa change is win for diplomacy (June 3), why do the Schengen countries make it so difficult to obtain a visa?


The whole process is tiresomeand stressful.


It starts with obtaining a visa submission date, then an interview if need be, followed by visa approval and a collection date.


The whole process, from applying to receiving, takes anywhere from two or three weeks to a few months during peak season.


The chance of receiving a long-term multi-entry visa is as good as winning the lottery. Having to apply for a visa limits my movements until it’s decided if I’m eligible for that elusive stamp.


However, I already have 10-year visas for the United States and the United Kingdom, and a one- year Singapore visa.


Visas for most other countries can be obtained within a week with the proper documentation.


Why do the Schengen states make the visa process so unfriendly? My family holidays to Europe have stopped, because travel to the US, UK or Asia can be arranged more quickly. Name withheld by request


 


Room to learn from Japanese


I refer to the letter Evictions a must for safety’s sake (June 3).


Occupancy laws should take into account what both tenants and landlords can afford.


Looking at the Japanese model of housing may be a good place to start.


Their homes are designed to optimise living space.


Rajesh Narayanan, Dubai


Warning about phone scam


I was recently contacted by someone purporting, falsely, to be an Etisalat employee.


After somehow discovering my mobile phone number, he began an elaborate scam trying to defraud me of about Dh5,000.


He began by saying that I was the winner of an Etisalat promotional lottery in which the last Wasel card I had bought had earned me a prize of Dh200,000.


Then he said I did not have enough credit on my phone to enable me to collect the prize money, so I should buy a large number of Wasel cards and give him their PINs.


The caller claimed that Etisalat would reimburse me for this sum when I cashed in the cheque for the prize money.


He then explained that there would be an additional “transaction charge”.


I asked for his employee ID card number and asked to speak to his superior.


The ID card, he said, was locked away in his locker as per company policy, and – surprise, surprise! – all his superiors were in a meeting.


I reported this incident to Etisalat and I was told that there were several scams of this nature in existence.


Name withheld by request


Village also has a parking problem


I am writing about 10,000 cars, 3,000 places … something has to give (June 4), about the lack of parking spaces available in Dubai’s MediaCity.


Some students at Knowledge Village can’t even apply for parking permits – and they have exams to attend.


Mohammed Al Qemzi, Dubai


Showing respect for national dress


I refer to Who wears the trousers? Not us, say rickshaw men (June 4).


The story says public transport drivers in Kerala, India, are being ordered not to wear the mundu.


Why should they change? It’s their cultural dress. Sajjad Rizvi, Dubai


 


America acts in imperialist way


I am writing in reference to Scope of US sanctions on Tehran broadens (June 2).


I believe the US and Israel are acting with imperialist arrogance.


They possess weapons to defend themselves, but they demand that other countries, like Iran and North Korea, disarm.


E Correa, Brazil


 


Mall should have a good bookstore


Yas Mall set to open doors in March (June 4) is good news for Abu Dhabi residents.


I have a request for the developers: please bring in a Kinokuniya bookstore. Naureen Kamal, Abu Dhabi



Parking causes concern on campus

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét