Chủ Nhật, 30 tháng 6, 2013

Go With Green Tea in Asia



Road Warrior provides travel tips from those who know best: busy executives and other globetrotters. See previous columns


René Gross Kærskov is chief executive of Hirsch Bedner Associates, a U.S. interior design firm that works mainly with clients in the hospitality industry.


The Los Angeles-based Dane spoke to the Journal about airport design, immigration officers and outer space.


b6432 OB XX127 rwarri DV 20130619090723

Hirsch Bedner Associates


How often do you travel? 


I travel on one short domestic trip and one long-haul trip each month, for about 10 days every month. Most of my time is spent in Hong Kong, Shanghai and New Delhi, but I also visit Singapore, the Philippines, London and Dubai twice a year.


Design-wise, which airports rank highly? 


High ceilings and open spaces give stressed people in an already stressful atmosphere breathing space. And of course, a sense of place in the design is always appreciated. Hong Kong does very well in terms of its scale and the shops available, while Singapore and Copenhagen are also on my list because of their cleanliness.


Favorite hotel not designed by your firm? 


I really like the Upper House in Hong Kong. It is very nicely designed, with beautiful and clean interior architecture. They also have fast and efficient check in. When you’ve just come off a long-distance flight, you don’t want to have to look for the lobby or check-in counter.


Favorite carrier? 


Singapore Airlines and Emirates. By far, their service is second to none. They’re so consistent that you don’t get surprised by [their quality], you expect it.


Best coffee? 


In Asia, I stick to drinking green tea. The best coffee can be found in France; I like any cafe in Paris as long as it’s outside the airport. They all have excellent coffee and bread.


Tips for beating jet lag? 


If you land in the middle of the day, don’t go to sleep. Stay awake and drink only water. However, I like to arrive at my destination late in the evening so I can get some sleep.


How do you keep fit on the road? 


I never go to the gym at hotels because they’re a waste of time. I walk as fast as possible through airports and always take the staircase and not the elevator. I especially like Singapore and Hong Kong for walking in the evenings. In Singapore, it’s very nice to walk down by the canals near the Fullerton Hotel.


Packing tips? 


I never check in luggage, except on the way home. It takes too long to collect when you arrive and the risk of losing baggage is too high.


I carry everything in a small suitcase and I always pack in less than 30 minutes because I carry the exact same stuff for every trip. On a five-day trip that’s two suits, extra pants, underwear and one shirt for each day.


What are the differences for travelers in the U.S. and in Asia? 


The biggest difference is when going through immigration. You feel welcome when you arrive in Asia. In the U.S., the demeanor and interrogation style of the customs and immigration officers make you feel like a criminal.


b6432 RWARRIOR1 LOGO
See more Road Warrior interviews


Tips for navigating language and culture barriers in Asia? 


I recommend getting the Shanghai taxi translator, which costs 99 cents. It’s getting better but if you get out of the airport late at night, there may still be no English-speaking people around.


Another tip for Shanghai is not to put your bag on the seats of taxis. The drivers don’t like it because they’re covered with white sheets.


What’s next on your travel list? 


I’ve been to both the North and South Pole and North Korea, so the next thing I would like to do is to travel to the highest volcanoes on each of the seven continents. I’m also booked on a Virgin Galactic space flight. I’m looking for the top-of-the-line, ultimate adventure.


Worst travel experience? 


Ten years ago, I was taking off on a plane in Beijing when one engine had a small explosion. We were going down the runway and there was this bump. I looked out the window and could see the engine spitting out small bits of fire. The pilot was already going at full speed up the runway but he stepped on the break and everything [in the cabin] flew. The whole thing was only about 20 seconds, but it felt like forever. And it took two hours for them to come and take us off the plane.


–Edited from an interview with Kristiano Ang




Go With Green Tea in Asia

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét