By: Debanjan Bose
1) Which popular Speciality Restaurants Ltd-owned watering hole in Pune is named after the Icelandic word for ‘jumping into puddles’ and also shares its name with a Sigur Ros (in pic) song of the same name from their album Takk… ?
2) What term of Swedish origin is used to refer to the characteristic step-like formations — typical of the Ghats around Pune — of the igneous volanic landscape in the Deccan Plateau?
3) The India Meteorological Department building in Shivajinagar is called the ___ Office, echoing the previous location of the headquarters of the department. The heritage building was built for a sum of Rs 2 lakh, allocated over 1926-27, and has the distinction of having the first lift installed in the city. Which place gives it its name?
4) This incident, which allegedly took place in the Egyptian desert, has spurned numerous works of art, including paintings by the likes of Michelangelo (in pic), Bosch and Dali, and also a book of the same name by French author Gustav Flaubert, who took long periods of time to write three versions of the text. He was supposedly inspired by a Pieter Bruegel the Elder painting at the Balbi Palace in Genoa. What is this incident?
5) Givanildo Vieira de Souza, who is playing in the ongoing FIFA World Cup, actually got his more well-known name from a TV series, which had Lou Ferrigno in the lead, of which Souza’s father was a big fan. Which player? One theory also cites Souza’s likeness to Ferrigno as the reason.
6) Previously known as the Jaigad Port, it was inaugrated under its current name in April 2012 by the ninth descendant of someone who has his samadhi in Alibag and was born in Angarwadi. Who is this?
7) What was created by Alec Fraser-Brunner, curator of the Van Kleef Aquarium in Singapore, as the logo for the Singapore Tourism Board?
8) What word, probably something they might confiscate before you board a flight, was used to refer to a type of heavily-armoured Roman gladiators, whose weapon of choice a was swords with two blades, used to trap the opponent’s weapon in a close-range fight?
Know something about the city that most do not? Send your questions to email@example.com
2. (Deccan) Trap
4. The Temptation of
6. Kanhoji Angre
By: Debanjan Bose