MONTANA, July 4 ― The best hotel in the world isn’t in New York or Paris, Singapore or Hong Kong. According to readers of Travel + Leisure, that title belongs to a ranch in Montana, where guests sleep under the stars in log cabins.
In the 19th edition of the publication’s annual reader poll, Triple Creek Ranch in Darby, Montana received an impressive 97-point score, outranking major luxury hotel brands like the Four Seasons, St. Regis, Oberoi and Mandarin Oriental to take the spot.
While it may not be a world-recognised name, the ranch is a member of Relais Chateaux, an international association of luxury properties made up of historic landmarks, castles and manors, often in bucolic areas in the world.
The typical Triple Creek Ranch guest, meanwhile, books a stay in search of nature and the return to simplicity.
Its impressive placement on the list may also signal a growing desire among travellers for unplugged, nature-centric vacations, editors said.
The site features 23 log cabins across 600 acres, against the backdrop of the Montana Rockies. Each cabin comes with a wood-burning fireplace, hot tub, and the property also offers wine tastings, a chef’s table and helicopter tours of the area.
Other big winners of Travel + Leisure’s annual reader’s poll include Crystal Cruises, which maintained its stronghold on the title of world’s best cruise line ― which it’s never relinquished since the poll started ― and Santorini, Greece which took the title of best island.
The multiple award-winning Singapore Changi Airport took the top spot for best airport in the world and the St. Regis Aspen Resort won for the category of best hotel spa.
Here are the world’s top hotels according to Travel + Leisure:
1. Triple Creek Ranch, Darby, Montana, USA
2. Nayara Springs, La Fortuna, Costa Rica
3. Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, Budapest
4. Southern Ocean Lodge Kangaroo Island, Australia
5. Ocean House, Watch Hill, Rhode Island
6. The Langham, Chicago, USA
7. Singita Sabi Sand Kruger National Park Area, South Africa
8. Londolozi Game Reserve, Kruger National Park Area, South Africa
9. Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India
10. Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, India ― AFP-Relaxnews
"Best in the world" hotel may surprise you